- First published 1964
- Published in the mornings, Monday to Saturday
- Stock availability at Paper World:
- Most dates since 1/7/1964
- Although many national papers were established by different publishers during the 20th century – some of which had the same name – the current version of The Australian has been the only general national daily to survive.
- Although a broadsheet format, The Australian is good compromise for readers trying to find the middle ground between the conservatism of broadsheets and sensationalism of tabloids.
- Serious news content and analysis from a national perspective, mixed with specialised supplements including many of a business/industry nature.